Below you will find the instructions on how to use our API, it's very easy to use and requires SSL. The API requires that you have an active credit balance and will never consume a credit for any unknown result. This endpoint can be called asynchronously and is currently not rate limited.
To test out or API without using credits - Please use the emails provided in our sandbox documentation.
The response time for our API is between one second and 70 seconds. Since API's are meant to be fast by nature, we limit the amount of time we spend validating an email address. So if we encounter a slow mail server or a mail server with a greylisting algorithm you will get an unknown result. You can always re-validate those conditions, uploading a file to the bulk email validator.
On average 96-98% of all domains will return in 1 to 5 seconds, there are a handful of domains that run off Postfix/Dovecot that have a 20 second connection time for real-time validations and a very small fractional percentage of other domains that are very slow to respond to SMTP inquiries. All the major ISP will return in 1 to 3 seconds, which is usually the majority of most email distribution.
API URL: https://bulkapi.zerobounce.net/v1/validate
API URL (With GEO Append): https://bulkapi.zerobounce.net/v1/validatewithip
- The email address you want to validate
- ip_addressThe IP Address the email signed up from (Can be blank, but parameter required)
- api_keyYour API Key, found in your account
If you want to call the API from your browser to test it, all you need to do is to replace the API KEY with your key:
or if you don't need GEO Append simply call the validate method.https://firstname.lastname@example.org
The API will return these results in a JSON format using the "validate" method.
- addressThe email address you are validating.
- status[valid, invalid, catch-all, unknown, spamtrap, abuse, do_not_mail]
- sub_status[antispam_system, greylisted, mail_server_temporary_error, forcible_disconnect, mail_server_did_not_respond, timeout_exceeded, failed_smtp_connection, mailbox_quota_exceeded, exception_occurred, possible_traps, role_based, global_suppression, mailbox_not_found, no_dns_entries, failed_syntax_check, possible_typo, unroutable_ip_address, leading_period_removed, does_not_accept_mail, alias_address]
- accountThe portion of the email address before the "@" symbol.
- domainThe portion of the email address after the "@" symbol.
- disposable[true, false] If the email domain is disposable, which are usually temporary email addresses.
- toxic[true, false] These email addresses are known to be abuse, spam, or bot created.
- firstnameThe first name of the owner of the email when available or [null].
- lastnameThe last name of the owner of the email when available or [null].
- genderThe gender of the owner of the email when available or [null].
- creationdateThe creation date of the email when available or [null] [Obsolete].
- locationThe location of the owner of the email when available or [null] [Obsolete].
- processedatThe UTC time the email was validated.
The API will return these additional fields using the "validatewithip" will return these additional additional fields using the validatewithip method:
- cityThe city of the IP passed in.
- regionThe region/state of the IP passed in.
- zipcodeThe zipcode of the IP passed in.
- countryThe country of the IP passed in.
VALIDATE EMAILS CODE SAMPLES
ENDPOINT RESPONSESuccessful Response
Successful Response with IP